Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mars City Planning Commision, Beginning of a Series

Well I have recently been thinking a lot about what it would take to colonize mars. (Yes yes, I know, it’s not very surprising that my thoughts have gone this way is it, oh mythical regular reader?)


So, to this end, I am announcing a new recurring feature for this blog 'Mars City Planning Commission" where I will attempt to list the problems and possible solutions for setting up a colony on mars. To this end, if you have any ideas, any problems, any comments, I certainly could use them. Every bit of information helps. Hopefully, I can get my ass in gear enough to make this a weekly posting, either on Mondays or Tuesdays.


So step 1, brainstorming a whole load of problems.

  1. Air
  2. Water
  3. Heat
  4. Food
  5. Shelter
  6. Transportation to Mars
  7. Landing on Mars
  8. Solar Radiation
  9. Where to Land
  10. Dust storms and other Martian Weather
  11. Illness of Colonists
  12. Sanity of Colonists
  13. Building Materials (Thanks to Orodromeus for bringing this one up)


Also it looks like I am forced to re-read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy again...


Anyway, I'm going to continue looking at this list and next week, ill have a longer and more exhaustive list of problems with a little run down of exactly what the problem is.


And Tomorrow, if all goes as planned, I will be Bogging (perhaps, live, I mean, I will have my laptop with me) on the Premiere of Hard Problems at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute

1 comment:

Kimon said...

Hi,
Sounds like a good idea! Add to that "availability of construction materials".
You can check out the wiki at KimStanleyRobinson.info where I'll be posting information on such subjects.